Graduates walk out on Pence at Notre Dame commencement

first_img SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) Dozens of graduates and family members silently stood and walked out Sunday as Vice President Mike Pence began his address at Notre Dame’s commencement ceremony.Pence, the former governor of Indiana, was invited to speak after Notre Dame students and faculty protested the prospect of President Donald Trump being invited to become the seventh U.S. president to give the commencement address.Pence spoke briefly of Trump, praising his speech to the leaders of 50 Arab and Muslim nations earlier in the day in Saudi Arabia. Pence said the president “spoke out against religious persecution of all people of all faiths and on the world stage he condemned, in his words, the murder of innocent Muslims, the oppression of women, the persecution of Jews and the slaughter of Christians.”Trump has faced harsh criticism for his anti-Islamic rhetoric during the campaign, as well as his administration’s legal battle to impose a travel ban on several Muslim-majority countries.Earlier in the ceremony, valedictorian Caleb Joshua Pine urged a “stand against the scapegoating of Muslims” and criticized Trump’s push to build a wall along the Mexican border.Cassandra Dimaro and her parents were among those who walked out. Dimaro told the South Bend Tribune that it was a show of solidarity “for those of us impacted by the policies of the Trump administration.”Pence didn’t comment on the walkout, which was expected, but he did allude to clashes at campuses elsewhere that have derailed appearances by controversial speakers, such as conservative firebrand Ann Coulter at the University of California at Berkeley.“This university (Notre Dame) is a vanguard of the freedom of expression and the free exchange of ideas at a time, sadly, when free speech and civility are waning on campuses across America,” he said. Published: May 21, 2017 2:26 PM EDT Pence meets with DeSantis in Tampa to discuss COVID-19 Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know. Member of Pence’s staff tests positive for virus Author: AP Recommended Graduates walk out on Pence at Notre Dame commencement SHARElast_img read more

Read More »

Simulating India’s trains

first_imgINDIAN Railways has awarded Corys TESS a contract worth over €20m to supply and maintain for 10 years locomotive driver training simulators. The project is part of a rolling programme to improve safety across the Indian rail network.Representing four different types of passenger and freight locos used by IR, the 12 cab simulators will incorporate motion systems and 3600 km of computer-generated routes.Sub-contractor Tractebel Engineers & Constructors Pte Ltd is to erect the buildings needed to house the simulators at locations across the country, and will manufacture the simulator cabs. TECPL will also be involved in commissioning and warranty support.Corys TESS, FranceReader Enquiry Number: 145last_img

Read More »

The Masked Singer episode 8 – preview the final

first_imgThe first series of The Masked Singer comes to an end tonight on ITV.The singing competition has had viewers across the country hooked as they’ve been trying to identify the celebrities under the masks. Over the course of the series celebs such as Denise Van Outen, Teddy Sheringham, Skin from Skunk Anansie and Jake Shears have been unmasked.For tonight’s big final, it’s between Queen Bee, Hedgehog and Octopus to win the series. We’ve been pretty confident on our guesses for Queen Bee and Octopus, but we have to admit that we’ve been completely thrown by Hedgehog.The Masked Singer episode 8 (teaser clip) 00:00/00:51 LIVE00:00undefinedNext Video×Next VideoCancelAutoplay is paused Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITVcenter_img Presiding over the last show will be the panel – Ken Jeong, Davina McCall, Rita Ora and Jonathan Ross – and host Joel Dommett will be on hand to keep things running smoothly.We’re pretty sure that the show will be back for another series and we can only imagine what the costumes will look like next time round!The Masked Singer continues at 7pm tonight on ITV. Preview the episode with our gallery below: Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITV Credit: Bandicoot TV / ITVlast_img read more

Read More »

Ali Kiba says musicians can make a difference in saving elephants

first_imgHe is one of Tanzania’s household names, but Ali Kiba doesn’t just want his fans to listen to his music – but also his message. In his song ‘Lupela’, he tells Africans to help save the elephant. It’s less than two weeks since a British pilot, Roger Gower, was shot dead in Tanzania, and Ali Kiba says the poachers must be stopped.“Maybe they are addicted, you know? It’s because of the ivory – how can you kill a human for the ivory. Why for that? It’s crazy. Sometimes it doesn’t click in my head. It’s just not fair.” Ali Kiba, Tanzania musicianAnd at a star-studded event in Dar es Salaam, musicians said Ali Kiba could make a difference.“First of all, Ali Kiba is a big artist. Probably the biggest that this country and East Africa has right now. So people listen to him. The fact that no artist before had gone on a campaign of this magnitude, that will make people listen to him.” Hamis Mwinjuma, Music ProducerPolice have made several arrests in connection with Gower’s death. And conservationists are more determined than ever to beat the poachers.“I think as conservationists, we all know that this is a real, intense and dangerous issue. And this highlights more how more efforts need to be put into this, so more rangers aren’t dying, and people like the British pilot aren’t dying.” Salome Gasabile, Tanzania Co-ordinator, WildAidAli Kiba hopes this song will convince more Tanzanians to join the cause as well because, as he says, they can’t let the poachers kill off one of Africa’s most iconic animals.last_img read more

Read More »

Al Shabaab bomb kills 12 in Somalia’s Puntland

first_imgAn al Shabaab bomb attack killed 12 people, including five soldiers, in Somalia’s Puntland region on Friday, the Puntland military said.The explosions hit Af-Urur, 100 km (60 miles) south of the city of Bossaso. Af-Urur is near the Galgala hills, an area controlled by al Shabaab Islamists who have attacked and captured the town several times and in June killed 38 people there.“A bomb planted near the khat market of Af-Urur exploded,” Major Mohamed Ismail, a Puntland military officer, told Reuters. “So far 12 people including civilians and soldiers have died.”The attack coincided with Eid al-Adha, a Muslim holiday.Al Shabaab, which is linked to al Qaeda and wants to impose strict Islamic law, claimed responsibility.“We are behind the attack in Af-Urur village. We killed five soldiers and injured 10 others,” al Shabaab’s military operations spokesman Sheikh Abdiasis Abu Musab told Reuters.last_img read more

Read More »

Cameroon intercepts families from fleeing war-torn Anglophone region

first_imgShortage of humanitarian aid for those fleeing Cameroon Anglophone crisis Soldiers from the Rapid Intervention Battalion (BIR) secure a ceremony honouring four soldiers killed in the violence that erupted in the Northwest and Southwest Regions of Cameroon, where most of the country’s English-speaking minority live, on November 17, 2017 in Bamenda. Four soldiers were killed this month in less than a week, in attacks attributed to secessionist “terrorists”. / AFP PHOTO / STRINGER (Photo credit should read STRINGER/AFP/Getty Images) Soldiers from the Rapid Intervention Battalion (BIR) secure a ceremony honouring four soldiers killed in the violence that erupted in the Northwest and Southwest Regions of Cameroon, where most of the country’s English-speaking minority live, on November 17, 2017 in Bamenda.Four soldiers were killed this month in less than a week, in attacks attributed to secessionist “terrorists”. / AFP PHOTO / STRINGER/Getty ImagesLocal authorities in Southwest, one of the two crisis-hit English-speaking regions of Cameroon, on Saturday stopped families from relocating to French-speaking side of the country.“We are not stopping them from travelling but those who are about leaving their homes you can see luggage here including furniture, beds. Where are they going? We want them to stay at home. The security and defence forces will guarantee their security,” the region’s governor, Bernard Okalia Bilia, told reporters after intercepting luggage-bearing buses from travelling.The governor’s decision was taken after people began departing from the troubled region in large numbers following threats from armed separatist forces that circulation of vehicles will be stopped ahead of the Oct. 7 presidential poll.The separatists have threatened to disrupt the election but Bilia said adequate measures have been taken to ensure a hitch-free vote.Since November last year, government forces have been clashing with armed separatists in the Northwest and Southwest, the two Anglophone regions of the country where about 80 percent of population are native in French.The armed separatist forces have declared an independent state in the two regions called “Ambazonia.”According to the United Nations, over 180,000 people have been displaced internally and at least 30,000 have escaped to Nigeria where they now live in refugee camps.Related Cameroon military court jails Anglophone activistscenter_img Four homemade bombs explode in restive anglophone Cameroonlast_img read more

Read More »

Sponsored: Let Basement Burger Bar do the driving on Opening Day

first_img Farmington Voice Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Save the high cost of transportation and parking by getting to the Detroit Tigers March 29 Opening Day with Basement Burger Bar!The shuttle will depart from the restaurant’s Farmington and Canton locations and drop off at Basement Burger Bar Greektown, just two blocks from Comerica Park. The ticket price of $25 includes roundtrip transportation and one drink at the Greektown location.Seating is limited and open only to those 21 and older. Sign up today or learn more at basementburgerbar.com/upcoming-events/Detroit/.  Reported bylast_img read more

Read More »

Jayson Castro to skip Gilas Pilipinas in 2019 FIBA Cup?

first_imgJayson Castro MANILA – TNT KaTropa veteran Jayson Castro begged off from Gilas Pilipinas in the 2019 FIBA World Cup slated later this year in China due to what he called as “personal priorities.”Gilas head coach Joseller “Yeng” Guiao said the many-time national team guard has sought for understanding for his situation because he has issues that are personal in nature.“I told him, ‘Okay, I know you have served the country for a long time.’ And if it is because of his family, I don’t think anybody can blame him,” Guiao told the media on Monday night.Guiao added that he is still hopeful that the 32-year-old Pampanga native could resolve whatever issue is bothering him and suit up for the national squad in the World Cup. “I would want to have him on the team but the final say is with Jayson. If he says, ‘I changed my mind, I want to play again,’ I can easily give him a slot. But if he says, ‘I want to rest,’ then we have to look for somebody,” Guiao said.Castro was a member of the Philippine team that reached the World Cup in 2014. He was also instrumental in the national squad’s second straight FIBA World Cup appearance.Castro returned from a three-game suspension from FIBA and helped Gilas string wins against Qatar and Kazakhstan in the Asian Qualifiers that ultimately punched their ticket to the quadrennial meet./PNlast_img read more

Read More »

Volleyball Signs Four Incoming Freshmen for 2017 Season

first_img“We are thrilled about this incoming class,” stated head coach Melissa Wolter. “This class is very skilled, athletic and competitive. They have big shoes to fill but we are confident that they have the necessary tools to come in and compete right away. They have exactly what we need to start a new era for UWF volleyball.” Logan Kael – Libero – 5’7″ – Knoxville, Tenn./Bearden HS PENSACOLA, Fla. – The University of West Florida volleyball team signed four student-athletes to National Letters of Intent that will begin play for the 2017 season. For information on all UWF athletics, visit GoArgos.com. Print Friendly Version Earned accolades such as two-time All-District First Team, 2015 Newcomer of the Year and 2016 All-State Tournament Team… Led team to a 33-17 record, including a 12-0 record in district play during senior season… Played club volleyball for the Texas Eclipse, helping team earn fifth place at Colorado Crossroads National Qualifier in Denver, Colorado and at the Windy City Qualifier in Chicago, Illinois. Recently wrapped up three-year varsity career at Olentangy Orange High School… Posted a .294 hitting percentage during senior season for the Buccaneers, averaging 2.4 kills per set… Recorded a .335 hitting percentage as a junior in 2015… Collected 398 kills in her career… Led team to a distrct championship and back-to-back conference championships… Named an OCC Honorable Mention… Played club volleyball for Mintonette Sports in Colombus, Ohio for six years, including being a member of a 2012 USAV National Champion squad.   Recorded 882 digs in 38 matches as a junior at Bearden HS in 2016… Averaged 7.5 digs per set… Tallied a remarkable 240 service aces in 117 sets with just 29 service errors… Recorded a service ace on 21.7% of her serves… Did not record a single reception error as a junior for the Bulldogs… Ranked No. 1 libero in total digs in MaxPrep, ranked 14th in the nation in total digs as a senior… Led team to a state championship appearance as a junior and finished fifth… Played club volleyball for K2 Volleyball in Louisville, Tenn. where she earned All District 4AAA Team honors in September of 2015.  Named a 2016 Northwest Florida Dailey News All-Area First Team selection as a senior after posting 260 kills and 160 blocks for Crestview HS as a senior… Played club volleyball for 850 Elite Volleyball Academy… Played for East Team in Subway High School All-Star Volleyball match. Kingsley Erps – Outside Hitter/Right Side – 5’11” – Austin, Texas/Liberty Hill HS Kierra Potts – Outside Hitter – 5’10” – Crestview, Fla./Crestview HS Ashlan Riley – Outside Hitter – 5’11” – Lewis Center, Ohio/Olentangy Orange HSlast_img read more

Read More »

AIBA chief Wu responds to ongoing rift, crisis

first_img“AIBA condemns in the strongest possible terms the latest tactics of its Executive Committee, under the unrecognized ‘Interim Management Committee,’ to attempt to illegally seize control of the organization’s headquarters in Lausanne on the morning of 26 July,” Wu told this newspaper on Thursday. “Their actions have not only prejudiced the operation of AIBA and the livelihoods of all of its employees, but threaten the forthcoming AIBA World Championships in Hamburg (starting on Aug. 25), undermine its capacity to fulfill its duty towards its 201 National Federations and finally contravene AIBA statutes and Swiss law.“A representative of this committee has since been removed from the premises by Swiss police, but AIBA’s headquarters must now remain closed pending the decision of the relevant authorities.”Wu, an IOC member since 1988, and AIBA leadership face seemingly daunting challenges moving ahead after he received a “motion of no confidence,” according to published reports at a time of “financial turmoil,” as described by The Irish Times.“As AIBA President, abiding laws and regulations is the basis to perform my duty,” Wu said in a statement. “The so-called ‘Interim Management Committee’ violates Swiss laws and AIBA Statues. Related issues will be examined in the coming Extraordinary Congress.” GET THE BEST OF THE JAPAN TIMES In the midst of an organizational crisis, the president of the International Boxing Association (AIBA) is fighting back.After AIBA employees were shut out of their offices on Wednesday, according to an AFP report, Wu Ching-kuo, who has been president of boxing’s global amateur governing body since November 2006, told The Japan Times the matter is far from finished. IOC, International Boxing Association, AIBA, Wu Ching-kuo center_img IN FIVE EASY PIECES WITH TAKE 5 KEYWORDSlast_img read more

Read More »